A Database Administrator is a technical leader, responsible forplanning, developing, (...)
A Database Administrator is a technical leader, responsible for planning, developing, deploying, maintaining, and supporting database-related processes, methods, and technologies. Responsibilities include (but not limited to) proactive monitoring of
database environments ensuring database availability and performance, database/SQL-statement troubleshooting, performance tuning, backup and recovery, providing database design consultation to projects, database software lifecycle planning, disaster recovery
design and planning, adherence to enterprise standards/compliance and documentation. The DBA will provide primary support for Microsoft SQL Server databases, and support for Oracle databases.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Monitor and enforce strategies for the control and sharing of company database resources and services.
- Prepare information/data models in scope using application development approaches.
- Work with application development staff to develop database architectures, coding standards, and quality assurance policies and procedures.
- Design and implement redundant systems, policies, and procedures for disaster recovery and data archiving to ensure effective protection and integrity of data assets.
- Conduct research and make recommendations on database products, services, protocols, and standards to support procurement and development efforts.
- Ensure the stability and reliability of data access and data quality across the organization via ongoing database support and maintenance.
- Analyse user requirements for reports, forms, queries, and data extraction and develop and deploy end-user practices and tools for data extraction, queries, and data manipulation in accordance with business processes.
- Provide training as necessary regarding the effective and efficient use of database tools and resources to other IT support staff.
- Monitor database system details within the database, including stored procedures and execution time, and implement efficiency improvements.
- Create and document models for new database development and/or changes to existing ones through data flowcharting.
- Consult on the installation and configuration of relevant network components to ensure database access, consistency, and integrity.
- Respond to and resolve database access and performance
- Advise on the allocation of physical data storage for database systems and ensure adequate capacity planning to meet future needs.
- Develop, implement, and maintain change control and testing processes for modifications to databases.
- Perform database transaction and security audits.
- Perform database management system creation and support, which includes database definition, security management, backup and recovery procedures, maintenance and monitoring, migration, performance and tuning, reporting, benchmarking, storage, sizing/space management, troubleshooting, and ongoing database problem resolution.
Required Job Profile
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or Business Administration with an emphasis on Systems Analysis and Programming Areas.
- 3 to 5 yrs experience in the Information Technology database administration (SQL/Oracle), system analyst/programmer related areas.
Minimum Competence Level
- Current industry certifications and/or technical training, including Microsoft Certifications:
- MS SQL ( M6232 ) Implementing SQL Server
- MS SQL ( M6231 ) Maintaining SQL Server
- MS SQL ( M6235 ) Integration Services
- MS SQL ( M6236 ) Reporting Services
- MS SQL ( M2778) Transaction SQL
- Oracle Certifications: OCA + OCP
- Oracle Certified Associate
- Oracle Certified Professional (desired)
- English: Proficient
- Portuguese: Fluent
- Understanding of database structures, theories, principles and practices.
- Working technical experience with designing, building, installing, configuring, and supporting database servers, including MS SQL Server and Oracle Server.
- Hands-on database tuning and troubleshooting experience.
- Experience in data processing flow-charting techniques.
- Understanding of, and experience in, server-client computing and relational database environments.
- Experience in data management and data processing flow-charting techniques.
- Knowledge of reporting and query tools and practices.
- Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws.
- Good interpersonal, written and spoken communication skills.
- Strong technical documentation skills.
- Ability to conduct research into database issues, standards, and products.
- Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language.
- Highly self-motivated and directed, with keen attention to detail.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Contributes in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.